Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday photo feature


I've mentioned that I've been catching up on some out-of-the-boat things lately.  That includes the things that provide my livelihood--my woodworking business and my rental properties.  But you can always count on me having something frivolous going on to distract me from my "real" job.  A couple of months ago I took a class at the Five In One Social Club in which I learned some simple block-printing techniques, and since then I've been gleefully geeking out on that stuff, carving all kinds of little designs and printing them in a variety of colors.

Is this relevant to a paddling blog?  Why, of course it is.  Don't forget that I am a canoe-and-kayak nerd as well as an arts-and-crafts nerd, and I made sure to carve a couple of paddling-related blocks.  The blue kayak above is based on the cover design of the book The Barton Mold: A Study In Sprint Kayaking by William T. Endicott.  The black whitewater C1 paddler is based on a photo of German slalom racer Nele Bayn that I saw on the "Planet Canoe" Face Book page.  Both blocks still need some touching up so they'll print a little cleaner, but don't forget that I'm a complete amateur at this and will probably stay that way... in other words, I've got a right to do it badly.  In any case, I'm having fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment