Friday, April 6, 2018

It really IS all relative

Spring is definitely here, but it hasn't yet taken the form of idyllic, tranquil, balmy days.  When Joe and I got together to paddle Tuesday morning it was around 70 degrees Fahrenheit but the south wind was as fierce as anything I've paddled in in a long time.

By yesterday the conditions were calm, but a cool spell had set in.  The temperature was barely over 50 degrees as I put my boat in the water for a 60-minute paddle.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor, and then did a fast ferry across the river to the Arkansas side and did a couple of long surges both up and down the river before returning to the harbor and heading back to the dock.

It's chilly and rainy today, and the forecast for tomorrow looks rather miserable.  By April I'm starting to feel entitled to some lovely warm weather, and when we go through spells like this it's tempting to get all whiny and maybe even blow off a workout.  This is why I think it's worthwhile to get myself out on the harshest winter days we get here in the Mid South: when I get down to the dock tomorrow and stand there in the unpleasant sub-40-degree weather that's predicted, I'll know deep down that it's really not that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment