Thursday, April 19, 2018

It's about time to race again

On Monday I got myself signed up for the Bluz Cruz Canoe and Kayak Race, a 22-miler down the Mississippi River starting at Madison Parish Port and finishing at Vicksburg.  So I'm committed now. This week is being spent getting myself race-ready.  That means doing the strength routine Monday and Wednesday, but not Friday.  It means polishing my speed in the boat.  And it means getting as much rest as I can--the mental kind as well as the physical.

Joe and I did our usual loop of the harbor on a warm, breezy day Tuesday.  Yesterday it was breezy again and the temperature exceeded 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon.  Today it is cooler, with a high in the 50s expected, but it seems that our cool spells are getting less chilly and shorter in duration.  I paddled for 60 minutes, starting with a set of six 12-stroke sprints and then spending some good time out on the Mississippi in preparation for Saturday's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment