Monday, April 16, 2018

Monday photo feature


How often does an ordinary guy like me get lumped together with the two best male Olympic sprint kayakers the United States has ever had?  Not very often.  But it happened here at Memphis in 2002, when Greg Barton and Mike Herbert were the top two finishers in the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race, and I managed to beat everybody else to the finish line.  Photo by my mom.

Greg and Mike are two of a number of "heavyweights" that have attended the OICK race over the years.  But there's a lot more to the event than that.  I consider it to be an annual celebration of this incredible natural resource our city has at its doorstep, and the wonderful recreational opportunities it affords.  Park remodeling has doomed the event for this year but I hope it will be back better than ever in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment