Friday, June 29, 2018

Legging out a few more sprints

My body got stressed a bit more than usual on Monday: after doing a round of the strength routine, I went to a rental property I own and spent a couple of hours cutting up a big tree branch that had fallen in the front yard during some weekend storms, and moving the big chunks of wood.

Because of that, as well as the hard workout I'd done on Sunday, I was as tired as could be when I got back in the boat on Tuesday.  I paddled easy in the harbor for 70 minutes and at times it felt like it was all I could do to string together a few dozen strokes at a time.

The heat has returned to the Mid South.  By yesterday the forecast was calling for a high temperature of 97 degrees Fahrenheit.  When I got in the boat at 10:30 yesterday morning it wasn't that hot yet, but it was well on its way.  Fortunately I was feeling much more rested than on Tuesday.

It was time for another set of 450-meter sprints in the harbor from the monorail bridge to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and got right to it.  Even though I was feeling pretty good and had a tailwind, I was off the pace: the times were 2:00, 2:01, 2:03, 2:06 (that would be 2:13, 2:14, 2:17, 2:20 for a full 500 meters).  As that last time suggests, I was falling apart a bit by the end of the workout.

I try not to worry too much about the times, seeing as how my races are all quite a bit longer than 500 meters.  Still, the competitor and the perfectionist in me likes to see times under two minutes.  But no matter how fast I'm able to go, I'm concentrating on the technical stuff.  Greg Barton has said that the speed with which you pull through your stroke dictates the speed of your boat, so I try to explode through each stroke during these sprints.  Meanwhile, one of the things Morgan House emphasized in his clinic that I took last fall was keeping the stroke rate under control to get the maximum benefit of the boat's glide between strokes, so I'm trying to do that.  And then, of course, there's the individual advice Morgan gave me about keeping my elbows close to my body and exiting each stroke closer to the boat than I had been.  I'm still working on that.

Where do I feel it during these sprints?  A little bit in my arms, sure; a little bit in my shoulders, sure; but mostly in my legs.  I really feel it in my legs.  By the end of a set of these long, hard sprints, my thighs feel like rubber.  That's where the power comes from, and it's why kayak racers typically include exercises like squats and lunges in their strength routines.

Speaking of strength routines, I did mine again on Wednesday and had planned to do it again today.  But life got in the way today, and I didn't manage to do it.  Maybe I'll work it in tomorrow morning before I go down to paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment