Friday, June 15, 2018

Some skills and some conditioning

When I paddled on Tuesday there was a pretty good south breeze blowing and an upstream-bound barge rig had just moved through the Memphis area.  When I paddled out of the mouth of the harbor I saw not exactly classic downwind conditions, but lots of surfable bumps out on the river.  So I went out and played around a bit.  Having just done a workout the day before with another one planned for Thursday, I didn't want to push the intensity too hard.  So I got just a handful of decent little rides and then returned to the harbor, where I paddled easy back to the dock.

Yesterday it was time for another set of four 450-meter sprints on my bridge-to-bridge course in the harbor.  When I did this workout last week I had a bit more of a tail wind than I had yesterday, so I knew it would be hard to produce the same sort of times.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and then got with it, and sure enough, I was slower: 1:57, 2:00, 2:00, 2:03.  (For a full 500 meters this would be 2:10, 2:13, 2:13, 2:17.)

When doing these sprints I've always sort of "stroked for broke" from start to finish, but after failing to break 2 minutes for the second sprint yesterday it occurred to me that it might be useful to play around with the pacing a little bit.  So for the next two sprints I kept it a bit slower and more controlled for the first minute and then tried to bear down for a strong finish.  No miracles resulted, but at least my third piece was consistent with the previous one.  I was just about spent by the fourth one.

I did the strength routine Wednesday and today.  Tomorrow, of course, should be the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race; but since it has been called off I'm just training right on through this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment