Monday, June 18, 2018

Monday photo feature


After I'd finished paddling on Thursday, I discovered I had company on the dock.

For the record, I'm not particularly a lover of snakes.  I would just as soon not be around them.  But I would never want to hurt one, for I recognize they have their role out in nature.  And anybody who wants to engage in outdoor activities must accept that he shares the outdoors with the native wildlife.

I was startled when I first noticed this one, but once I had a chance to get a look at him I was pretty sure he wasn't poisonous because of the shape of his head.  As I put away my boat and did my other post-paddling chores he just hung out and watched me, and darn if he didn't start to grow on me after a while.  A guy walked by who knew snakes better than I, and he told me this was a king snake.  Later on a buddy of mine saw this photo and said it was a hybrid juvenile king.  You're not likely to find a more good-natured snake than a king.

I haven't seen the snake since then, so I guess he's moved on.  And there I was almost hoping I'd made a new friend to hang out with at the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment