Friday, January 11, 2019

ah-CHOO

The theme of this week has been the bad cold I've had.  Colds for me usually start with a sore throat, and I could feel that coming on as I finished paddling Sunday morning.  The throat pain was at its worst on Monday, bad enough to make me wonder if I had a case of strep throat.  But by Tuesday it had given way to ordinary coughing and sneezing and clogged sinuses.

The weekend's balmy weather continued through Tuesday.  When Joe and I paddled a loop of the harbor Tuesday morning, it was partly sunny and the Fahrenheit temperature was rising into the 60s.

By yesterday morning we were back to more typical January weather.  When I got down to the river it was still in the 30s, and the pogies were back on my paddle.  There was a cold north breeze blowing, but it wasn't too bad, and the sun was out.  I was starting to feel somewhat better but not ready to be a hero in the boat yet.  I paddled a steady, relaxed 60 minutes.

The river level as I paddled yesterday was around 31.8 feet, and it crested later in the day just shy of 32 feet.  Yesterday morning the lowest-lying bits of the Greenbelt Park were under water.

Today I think my health is continuing in the right direction even though my head is still full of gunk.  Strength work has been on hold, and I hope to have a new routine underway by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment