Thursday, December 5, 2019

Getting serious and getting sore

I started up a new strength routine Tuesday morning.  It had been a couple of months since I'd done any kind of leg exercises, and those Hindu squats hit me hard.  My quad muscles throbbed the rest of the day, and yesterday and today they have been wicked sore.  My arms are a bit sore too, from those curls and military presses.  They will, of course, become stronger than before as they repair themselves, but they always protest when given a new job.

After the strength work Tuesday I joined Joe for a loop of the harbor.  I think it's good to follow up weightlifting with some easy paddling.

I returned to the river yesterday and paddled for 60 minutes.  After a 10-minute warmup I did another set of those backpaddling-then-forward-paddling power drills that I talked about last weekend.  After that I just paddled steady.

The week started off sort of cold and bleak.  When Joe and I paddled Tuesday it was in the low 40s Fahrenheit and the sky was much more cloudy than sunny.  By yesterday the sun was out and the temperature was heading up toward the mid 50s.

For the second year in a row, the Mississippi River has been higher than normal in the fall months.  Sub-zero readings on the Memphis gauge are common at this time of year, but this year the river has barely dipped below 10 feet, and right now it's on a big rise in the wake of the heavy rains that have moved through the Tennessee and Ohio drainages in recent weeks.  The current forecast has it cresting near 26 feet.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment