Thursday, August 13, 2020

Bonecrushin' fun

I had a freak accident in my home Sunday evening.  I slipped on a wet floor and smashed my right foot into a chair leg, breaking the pinky toe.  There's not a whole lot you can do for a broken toe besides let it heal, but I did visit my doctor Monday just in case it needed to be reset.  It didn't, but at least I got X-ray confirmation that there is in fact a fracture.

So here I am dealing with some pain I could have done without.  In most respects I'm able to function as before, but I'm walking with a limp and having to be careful not to put any undue stress on the area.

On Tuesday I paddled for the first time since the accident, and the toe didn't hurt any worse in the boat than out of it.  Joe and I paddled a loop of the harbor and I performed okay with my neoprene shoes on and my feet against the footboard under the foot strap.

I was back in the boat this morning, and as I paddled out of the harbor I came across a through-paddler: a lady named Ann arrived in Memphis this morning some two months after her journey started at Lake Itasca in Minnesota.  She's headed for the Gulf of Mexico, and I wish her all the best.

I went on out to the Mississippi and looped above the Hernando DeSoto Bridge and back.  I paddled a pretty strong pace and felt good.

Back here at home, my foot hurts.  I'm told it'll take around 30 days for me to be able to stress it normally again, and a couple of months or more for the bone to heal completely.  Not much I can do but grit my teeth and endure it.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment