Sunday, October 18, 2020

Cool weather, some intense paddling, and a pain in the neck

Yesterday was a textbook brisk fall day.  The sun shone bright all day, but the Fahrenheit temperature started in the mid 40s and hadn't reached 60 yet when I went down to paddle.

I got down to the dock and realized that my summertime in-the-boat attire of swim trunks and a short-sleeve shirt weren't going to be adequate.  But it was all I had, so I grinned and bore it for 60 minutes.  There was a chilly breeze blowing and I was never entirely comfortable out there.

Today dawned quite a bit warmer and cloudy, with occasional light showers.  Once in the boat I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor, and then headed out onto the Mississippi for my workout.  I did twelve two-minute pieces in which I paddled a moderate pace (about 6.5 miles per hour on flatwater) for 60 seconds, a faster pace (7.0-7.5 mph) for 30 seconds, and a sub-maximal pace (over 8.0 mph) for 30 seconds.  I did the pieces back-to-back--in other words, that moderate-paced first 60 seconds counted as my recovery interval.  I did five of them while paddling upriver along the Tennessee bank, four of them coming back downriver, and the last three on the flatwater of the harbor.

The workout went reasonably well and I felt strong throughout.  Unfortunately, I'm not feeling so hot out of the boat.  That soreness and tightness in the right side of my neck continues and it's making me somewhat miserable as I go about my day.  I think I'm going to have to step up the frequency of my visits to the chiropractor and see if we get whatever this is ironed out.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment