Friday, October 2, 2020

Stuck in the mud

I've spent this week feeling really lethargic and out of sorts.  A notable symptom is sort of a foggy, scatterbrained feeling.  Normally I wake up a little before 6 AM, but a couple of times this week I've slept almost a half-hour later.  I'm usually tired at the end of a race weekend, but I can't believe my trip up to the Ohio River did such a number on me that I'm still recovering five days later.  Maybe my body is fighting off some kind of bug... hopefully not the one that's hogged the headlines for the last ten months.

On Monday I did very little besides finish unpacking my stuff from the trip and put it away.  I had to miss my usual Tuesday paddle with Joe to drive my mother to the doctor for some followup to her surgery.  She seems to be doing quite well, for you thoughtful folks who are wondering about that.

Mom's appointment wasn't until late morning, so I took the opportunity to start easing into a new strength routine.  I haven't drawn up a complete routine yet, but I did a couple of sets of pushups and Hindu squats.

Not having done any leg work for quite a while, I felt the impact of those Hindu squats the rest of the day Tuesday, and by Wednesday morning my thighs were wicked sore.  I got in the boat for the first time since Sunday and did a fairly easy paddle out on the Mississippi, which has dropped below zero on the Memphis gauge as it typically does in the late summer and fall.

The thigh soreness continued through yesterday.  This morning there was still some soreness, but it had eased enough for me to do another round of work.  I did the same things I did Tuesday plus some rubber band exercises.  I'll share my routine here once I get it fleshed out.

After the strength work I got back in the boat and paddled steady for 60 minutes.  My torpid feelings persist today, but I will say that both Wednesday and today I felt better after paddling than before.

In the latter half of the week a new malady asserted itself: a bad crick in the right side of my neck.  I have a routine appointment with my chiropractor scheduled for next Thursday, but if this neck pain isn't gone by Monday morning I might have to call and see if I can get that moved up.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment