Sunday, October 4, 2020

Pushing through the doldrums

I've continued to lack much get-up-and-go this weekend.  I guess I'm just tired, or maybe I have an extremely mild cold or something.  (I have not had any of the common COVID-19 symptoms--dry cough, numb tastebuds, anything like that.)  My neck discomfort has improved slightly, perhaps, but it's still unpleasant.

Oh well... slow periods like this do happen.  I'm responding to it with unstructured 60-minute sessions on the river.  No 8-stroke sprints or drills or anything; I'm just going out there and doing whatever I feel like.

I would have liked to do some wake surfing this week, but the river was free of commercial traffic every time I went out.  Finally today there was a barge rig moving upstream as I paddled out of the harbor.  It had an odd set of waves trailing behind it: the first few off the towboat's stern had such low amplitude the they weren't really surfable at all.  Then I found some nice ones a bit farther back, and got a couple of fun rides.  After that the waves died quickly as the rig moved farther and farther upriver.  It was nice to get a little bit of something, and by the time I was back on the dock I felt more upbeat and energetic than before.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment