Sunday, May 9, 2021

A mostly laid-back weekend

As the easy week continued, I had just a gym session to do on Friday.

Friday was a gorgeous day, but by yesterday morning it had turned overcast and chilly with some rain moving through the area.  In the boat I wore the same thing I'd been wearing all week--a pair of swim trunks and a short-sleeve shirt--and at first I thought I was underdressed, but once I got going I felt fine.  The workout was three sets of four (90 seconds on/90 seconds off) at 76-80 strokes per minute.  I did the first set with moderate resistance on the boat, the second set with small resistance, and the third set with no resistance.  So it started hard but got easier with each set.  I focused pretty hard on my stroke mechanics; I'd been working on those bugs in my stroke a lot at lower stroke rates, and now I had a chance to carry whatever progress I'd made to a higher rate.

This morning a thunderstorm with strong winds blew in just as I was walking down the ramp to the dock.  The rain didn't last more than ten minutes or so, but I ended up paddling in a 15-20 knot south wind.  I stayed in the harbor where I would have some shelter.  I concluded my "easy" week with a scaled-back version of the typical Sunday workout: three sets of (5 minutes at 60 spm/3 minutes at 64 spm/2 minutes at 68 spm).  Just a nice aerobic session with a lot of stroke practice.

Tomorrow is a day off, and then I guess I'll be back to serious business Tuesday.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment