Thursday, May 6, 2021

Taking it easy

Joe and I did a very easy loop of the harbor Tuesday morning.  It had rained heavily overnight and more storms would pass through in the afternoon, but we enjoyed a nice window that morning.  When the messy weather finally moved out there was some cooler, drier air behind it, and yesterday and today have been sunny and delightful.

This is an "easy" week between more substantial training blocks.  Such a week typically includes the same types of workouts that I do during a harder week, but the intensity is lower or the reps are fewer or the recovery intervals are longer.  Yesterday morning I did three sets of two (5 minutes on/1 minute off) with some extra weight in the boat--an "aerobic power session."  I did the first set at 56 strokes per minute, the second at 60 spm, and the third at 64 spm.

Today it was time for what Maks called "a true speed session--long breaks, short efforts, and flying starts."  I did twelve 10-second all-out sprints at 3-minute intervals.  I did what I always try to do during short sprints: move my body as smoothly as I can, with all muscles firing in unison.  I was getting in about 20 strokes in each sprint, meaning I was doing about 120 spm.  That's about as fast as I can make my body turn over while still having a decent amount of control.

The easy week continues through the weekend.  I'm hoping it'll be restful and enjoyable.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment