Monday, November 22, 2021

Monday photo feature


Here she is in all her glory: my Raleigh M-20 bicycle.

I bought this bike back in 1997.  Back then the Atlanta Center of Excellence was putting on its Ocoee Doubleheader whitewater slalom race, and on Saturday night that year they had a silent auction to raise some money, and the bike was among the items.  My winning bid was somewhere around a couple hundred bucks.

For me, bike riding has mostly been just a way to get around the neighborhood, but once in a while I rely more heavily on it for some training.  A couple of months before my trip to South Africa in February of 2020, I realized I had a hairline fracture in a rib (I never have known what caused it).  Because rest is the only way to heal a cracked rib, I had to stay out of the boat for a while.  But I needed to be fit for my South Africa trip, so I came up with a training plan that worked my legs hard, with some squats and some lunges and some running up stairs and, especially, some bike riding.

By the time I arrived in South Africa my rib had healed enough for me to paddle again, and I found that I was adequately fit from the cross training I'd done.  Because I'm still feeling some burnout from this past year of paddling and racing, I'm using some similar cross training along with a small volume of paddling to work back into a training routine as another trip to South Africa awaits in January.  And so, I'm spending lots of time on the bicycle pictured above.



For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment