Thursday, November 18, 2021

Physical fitness and... a physical

On Sunday morning I went out and did an 80-minute paddle on the Mississippi River.  I'm definitely feeling a bit rusty in the boat right now, and that was no more evident than in the last 25 minutes when I followed a barge rig downriver back to the mouth of the harbor.  I felt sloppy as I tried to keep the boat moving in the squirrelly, confused water, and I was really tired by the time I was back in the harbor..

I started Tuesday morning with a gym session, and then went down to the riverfront to do an easy loop of the harbor with Joe.

Yesterday morning I had my annual physical scheduled at my doctor's office.  For a physical I have to go in fasting because of the lab work, and I like to make my appointment for when the office opens at 7:00 AM.  But the earliest they could get me in yesterday was 9 o'clock, and so I had several breakfastless hours to kill.  Yesterday's workout was a one-hour bike ride, so I went ahead and did that from 6:30 to 7:30 to take my mind off being hungry.  I rode the Greenline out to the Wolf River and back.

Once I finished that I was tired, and my body craved food more than ever.  I fidgeted around the house until my appointment time, and then spent another 90 famished minutes going through all the rigamarole at the doctor's office.  At long last the doctor set me free, and I made a beeline to my favorite coffee shop and had a hearty late breakfast/early lunch.

This morning I did a workout similar to last Thursday's: a couple of bike laps in the park, with some pushups and Hindu squats after each lap.  Then I came back home and did several sets of strides up my back stairs.  After yesterday and today I'm feeling it in my legs, and that's what I'm after.  Ocean kayaking demands solid leg fitness, and I also happen to think that leg fitness makes up a large percentage of overall fitness.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment