Friday, February 4, 2022

Let's go to the pictures!

I really ought to have spoken MUCH more about this here, but I've been so preoccupied with overseas travel that I haven't really found time.

Oh well... time to start remedying that now.  I spent much of last year working on a big project: a feature-length film!

As you can see, its title is "A Paddler's Journey."  Last summer I marked 40 years as a paddler of canoes and kayaks, and I was looking for a fun way to share all the stuff I've learned in those four decades, and, well... somehow I decided that a movie was the way to go.  The film is centered around my trip out to the Columbia River Gorge for the Gorge Downwind Championships last July.  Along the way I get some great insights from world-class paddlers Ana Swetish, Austin Kieffer, and Greg Barton, and people like Rob Flanagan, Jules Gismondi, Chris Hipgrave, Carter Johnson, and Michael Meredith also pop in to say hello.  My friend Jason Freeman, an awesome musician here in Memphis, helped me jazz up the soundtrack.

How can you see this film?  It's making its premiere as part of the National Paddling Film Festival.  The online phase of the festival starts February 6 (this Sunday) and runs through February 26.  There's also an in-person event on February 19 at the Lyric Theatre in Lexington, Kentucky.  Go here to buy a ticket and find information about the festival.  Proceeds from ticket sales go to support American Whitewater.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment