Sunday, June 19, 2022

A break from the heat, but not from the pain

I did a gym session Friday morning, then got in the car and departed Dauphin Island.  As I mentioned earlier, it was some ten degrees cooler on the Gulf Coast than in the rest of the southeastern U.S., and as I moved north I watched the temperature display in my car rise and rise and rise, topping out at 102 degrees Fahrenheit.  I got home thinking I was in for a miserable 20 days until my departure for the Pacific Northwest.

But then a front came through overnight that brought some drier air into the Mid South.  Yesterday's high temperature was in the mid 90s, but it really didn't feel so bad because we were spared the suffocating humidity.

Last night the temperature dropped into the 60s, and this morning felt just plain delightful.  It was perfect for going down to the river and paddling.  Unfortunately, my left deltoid/biceps area was hurting as bad as it ever has.  I've made up my mind that I need to seek some help with this problem, and I'll start with my chiropractor tomorrow.  I'm not sure this particular ailment is in a chiropractor's wheelhouse, but I've had much better results dealing with the chiropractor than with my local orthopedic community, so I'm going to start there.

Even when my arm hurts pretty bad, I've found that it doesn't render me unable to paddle.  So I feel pretty sure that I'll be able to get through the downwind race in the Columbia Gorge with nothing worse than a lot of discomfort.  Nevertheless, I decided to skip paddling today in favor of a bike ride.  I rode the Greater Memphis Greenline out to where it crosses the Wolf River, and came back.  The total distance was a bit over 20 kilometers.  I treated it not so much as a workout as just a way to savor the lovely weather.  I'd certainly better savor it, because according to the current forecast, the awful sweltering heat is on its way back.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment