Friday, June 3, 2022

Doing my best to keep moving

The temperature rose above 90 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of days this week.  As summer weather settles in more and more I'm doing what I always do, and immersing myself.

On Tuesday morning I did a gym session and then headed down to the river.  As I paddled toward the mouth of the harbor I saw an enormous barge rig coming upriver from below the Frisco Bridge, and I proceeded downstream hoping to do some surfing.  But it turned out the towboat was at nowhere near full throttle, and it wasn't generating any surfable waves that I could see.

I started paddling back upriver along the Tennessee bank.  I threw in a strong surge for some 1600 meters, starting midway up Tom Lee Park and finishing at the monorail bridge back in the harbor.  Maybe the heat was to blame, but that surge left me feeling worn out for the rest of the day.

It stayed hot Wednesday, but then some storms moved through with a mass of cooler air behind them.  Yesterday's high was in the low 80s, and this morning has been pleasantly cool.

The soreness in my left shoulder/biceps area seems to be worse some days and better other days.  When I woke up yesterday I could tell it was a "worse" day.  I stretched and warmed up as best I could, and did a gym session.  Then I went down to the river and paddled for 60 minutes.  I tried to be mindful of my stroke mechanics, getting the power from my trunk muscles as much as possible and not from my arms.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment