Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Americana fun (2022 edition)

As I mentioned before, I have now visited every one of the United States of America.  Going to Alaska from the 7th to the 10th of this month enabled me to add it as the 50th and final state on my list.

It is now my goal to paddle a boat in every state, and I have done so in 44 of the 50 states.  The six outstanding states, in alphabetical order, are Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Maine, Minnesota, and New Jersey.

A trip down the Grand Canyon seems an obvious way to pick up Arizona.  I've never been good at getting myself included in big groups of people, and that's really what you have to do to run the Grand.  If you're reading this and are involved in an upcoming trip that needs another person, I'd love to hear from you.

Meanwhile, a paddling trip in Alaska is something I'll have to dedicate more time and energy to than I was able to do this month.  Similar effort might be required for Maine because of how far away it is.  Perhaps I'll plan a trip up the Eastern Seaboard during which I pick up Delaware and New Jersey and end up in Maine.  Maybe next year I'll skip the Columbia Gorge race and focus on one of these trips.

I'm not sure why I've never paddled in Minnesota; there's nothing that complicated about it.  It's far from where I live, but not insanely far.  Part of the problem is that it's not on my way anywhere unless I want to go to Manitoba or Saskatchewan or someplace like that.  Maybe I'll go to the Boundary Waters, though I've got to say I'm not a fan of mosquitoes.

Oh well, there's plenty of time to think about all that.  Here's the updated list.  States marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones I have merely visited.  States marked with a pound sign (#) are the ones I have visited and paddled a boat in.

Alabama#
Alaska*
Arizona*
Arkansas#
California#
Colorado#
Connecticut#
Delaware*
Florida#
Georgia#
Hawaii#
Idaho#
Illinois#
Indiana#
Iowa#
Kansas#
Kentucky#
Louisiana#
Maine*
Maryland#
Massachusetts#
Michigan#
Minnesota*
Mississippi#
Missouri#
Montana#
Nebraska#
Nevada#
New Hampshire#
New Jersey*
New Mexico#
New York#
North Carolina#
North Dakota#
Ohio#
Oklahoma#
Oregon#
Pennsylvania#
Rhode Island#
South Carolina#
South Dakota#
Tennessee#
Texas#
Utah#
Vermont#
Virginia#
Washington#
West Virginia#
Wisconsin#
Wyoming#


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

1 comment: