Thursday, July 28, 2022

Nothing lasts forever

I'm definitely in a regrouping phase now.  I did a 34-kilometer bike ride Sunday morning, a mostly-easy 70-minute paddle Tuesday, and a 33-km bike ride today.  That's the nature of my physical activity these days.

It's tempting to think that this has been a "light" year, seeing as how I haven't attended but three races.  But the reality is that I've spent the last eight months working very hard.  It started last December, when I got going in earnest to prepare for my trip to South Africa at the end of January.  When I returned from that trip on February 1, I turned my attention to the race at Ocean Springs in late March and laid down a solid body of work.  I backed off a bit during the month of April, but then spent May and June building the fitness, power, and speed I would need for the race in the Columbia Gorge.

It hasn't been easy.  I've struggled with feelings of low energy, and my weight continues to be down a bit.  Tests I've had done at the doctor's office have revealed no problems, and I wonder if I'm not just getting old and past my prime... tough to accept for any athlete who's spent his life looking at times and speeds and so on.

I recently heard an interviewer say to Jasper Mocke, "Complete this sentence: 'I am a paddler because...'"  Jasper replied, "'...I need to be.'"  I think that's as good a reason as any for why I'm a paddler, too.  And maybe this sounds weird, but I've spent my life thinking things "need" to be a certain way.  When I started running track and cross country in high school it had been a few years since any distance runners from my school had advanced to the state meet, and I felt that I "needed" to correct that.  Later on, once I'd moved back to my hometown and gotten more serious about canoe and kayak racing, I saw that my city was not exactly a hotbed for racers, and I felt a "need" to remedy that, too.

And so that's what I've been trying to do for the last several decades.  I wouldn't say I've had brilliant success--I'm not a world-class talent and I've never been a contender to make national teams or anything like that.  But I've had a modicum of success in regional races over the years and I've made sure there's at least one person down on the Memphis riverfront paddling a boat with all the effort, technical precision, and wisdom he has in him.

Now I'm wondering if I still have the desire to go out and do hard workouts and make myself hurt for diminishing results.  Certainly I should have known all along that I won't be able to go out and clock certain times forever, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept that maybe the aging process is slowing me down to a noticeable degree.  The reality is that the world will keep going about its daily business regardless of whether Elmore Holmes can average 5 minutes per kilometer, and somehow I need to find a way to get over myself and keep enjoying those aspects of the sport that remain accessible.

I do have a race coming up pretty soon, August 20 on the Cumberland River at Burkesville, Kentucky.  My friend Scott from Louisville has invited me to do it with him in a tandem surfski.  I certainly plan to give it my best--I never want to let a tandem partner down--but I'm not likely to put as much pressure on myself as I do when paddling solo.  Hopefully we'll just have a lot of fun, and I need that more than anything right now.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes struggle with the same thoughts but it is too much fun to give in to age!! Even though my paddling started at the ripe age of 61 i have not measured my success in wins but just getting and remaining competitive. I completed the MR340 solo my second year in the sport and this year will get my buckle if I can complete one more run in the Chattajack ! In a tandem my buddy and friend Dr Wulf Hirschfield and I have had many good runs together. I am soon to be 69 and still love to compete even though after my 8 mile paddle today i hurt much more than I did a year ago! I plan to continue this great sport as long as I can and make many more good friends like you Elmore, along the way. This is a fantastic sport that will keep you in shape and allow you to meet many fine people! I may get slower and slower but i will keep pushing and pushing every time im in a boat. You are still young and have a lot to offer so keep pushing and believing in yourself. You are an inspiration to many of us in the paddling world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words, Lynn! --Elmore

    ReplyDelete