Thursday, December 8, 2022

How I'm feeling as winter approaches

I did a gym session Monday afternoon, and Tuesday morning I was back in the boat.  This has been a rainy week here in the Mid South, and on Tuesday I paddled in some drizzle and mist.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: wet, misty days might be the most beautiful I have experienced out on the Mississippi River.

As for the aches and pains in my left arm, sometimes I think they're doing a lot better and other times they continue to bother me.  My chiropractor recommended some exercises to do, and I think they have helped some.

All told, I've been feeling better about training in general lately.  A few weeks ago I posted here that even when you're feeling at your lowest it's important to do at least a little something--anything--each day, and string together some days and weeks of doing that something.  Now, here I am a few weeks later and I think that advice to myself is paying off.  I've been doing some gym work, some bike riding, some running, and some paddling, and with the exception of the running it's gone well and I'm feeling good about it.

I'll just add that my weight has come up again over the last couple of months: it had fallen into the low 150s and even the high 140s (that's pounds, for you international readers), and I was feeling weak and listless.  Now I'm back up in the high 150s, and feeling more energetic.  This is all anecdotal observation; I haven't kept meticulous records of my weight over many years.  So I don't know for sure that there's a genuine connection between what I weigh and how I feel.  But I do remember that when I was racing really well several years ago my weight was up, and in the last couple of years as I've felt not so in-the-pink, my weight has been down.  Take from that what you will.

Anyway... this morning I did another good gym session, and now I'm feeling good about it.  The endorphins are flowing.


 For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment