Sunday, June 25, 2023

I believe summer is here for real now

Friday morning I put in a run and a gym session.  The Hindu squats took a lot out of my legs again, but I think my body is starting to adapt.

Yesterday I went down to the river and paddled for 80 minutes.  The session was a mixture of "work" work and "play" work.  I did four 5-minute surges at 70 strokes per minute--that was the "work" part--but I also did some surfing behind a barge rig that was moving upriver.  The waves weren't great, and they didn't last long, and they were wandering back and forth, but I still got a couple of good rides in.

Hotter weather is moving in, and the temperature was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday.  The big national weather news right now is the "heat dome" that's centered over Texas, and I understand that in the coming days it'll be moving and/or expanding so that the Mid South will be within its eastern boundary.  The current forecast shows temperatures moving into the high 90s and low 100s this coming week.  The past week has been pretty warm and fairly humid, but there have been breezes offering some relief.  I hope we'll continue to have some air movement as the heat gets more and more oppressive.

Today was shaping up early to be the hottest of the year so far: when I got down to the river just after 9 AM, it was already well up into the 80s.  A strong south wind helped keep me cool, but only when I was paddling something other than away from it.  As I paddled for 100 minutes, I did a lot of zig-zagging so I wouldn't have the wind at my back for any extended length of time, but even so the sweat stung my eyes badly whenever I did have a tailwind.  I had to stop and mop my face pretty often.  The intensity level wasn't high, but I tried to concentrate on good precise strokes as much as I could.  I sure hope New England comes through with some mild weather when I'm racing up there in several weeks.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment