Thursday, June 22, 2023

The pile of days is shrinking

Monday marked just three weeks to go until I get in the car and start driving up toward the northeastern United States for some racing, some recreational paddling, and a one-week woodworking class.

Tuesday morning I did my little around-the-block run.  That half-mile or so still feels like a half-marathon.  I don't know if I'll ever run effortlessly again, and I probably shouldn't get obsessed with reclaiming that bit of my youth.  After the run I started a new gym routine: some Hindu squats, some front- and lat-raises, a lower abdominal exercise, and some bicep curls.  I didn't do but one set of 60 Hindu squats, but for a few hours afterward my legs felt like rubber.  Even though my previous gym routine included some lunges with dumbbells, it felt like it was the first time my legs had been worked in ages.

After that I headed down to the river.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints, and then did four 1000-meter pieces, starting every 11th minute.  I aimed for 80 strokes per minute, fairly high but not crazy-high.  There was a north breeze blowing and I did the first piece into that breeze, so I knew my time wouldn't be fast.  The fastest I could go was around 11.5 kilometers per hour and I ended up with a time of 5 minutes, 26 seconds.  By then I'd reached the north end of the harbor and I turned back south, with the wind at my back.  I knew my remaining three pieces should be much faster, and they were: 4:57, 4:54, and 4:58.  The workout was taxing but overall it didn't seem as tough as the two 2000-meter pieces I'd done a week earlier.  I left the marina feeling satisfied and glad there are just two hefty Tuesday mornings left before I leave town.

Yesterday the North Pole moved as close to the sun as it will be all year.  Dawn arrived extra-early and darkness fell extra-late.  While I generally like the long daylight hours of summer, I don't think I need any more daylight than we got yesterday.  In other words, I live at a latitude that suits me just fine.

Today was another Whitewater Boat Thursday.  I worked those different muscle groups and dreamed of getting back on some swift-moving water.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment