Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Photo Feature

Sure, I competed in the Olympic Trials for whitewater slalom back in 2000.  But my closest brush with Olympic glory came at the Olympic Trials four years later.  I was not there, but my likeness was all over the place: every athlete, coach, and volunteer wore a credential like the one at right, featuring a photo of yours truly.  Who chose this photo, and whether this choice was for any reason besides that it's just a pretty good shot of a guy racing slalom, I have no idea.  But I'll gladly add it to the legend in my own mind.  Thanks to Jennifer Hearn, whose husband Davey was coaching some athletes in the '04 Trials, for sending me this credential.

Here we are eight years later, and another Olympics is about to begin in London.  Whitewater slalom racers will compete from July 29 to August 2 at the Lee Valley White Water Centre in Hertfordshire, and flatwater sprint racers will compete from August 6 to August 11 at Eton Dorney, Buckinghamshire.

I have many photos of whitewater slalom racing in my collection, but practically none of flatwater sprint racing.  That's because I have never raced in a flatwater sprint regatta, even though the paddling I'm doing nowadays is much more like flatwater sprint than whitewater slalom.  So I apologize to readers of this blog who would like to see more flatwater photos.  There's a nifty new video here that captures many of the aspects of flatwater racing.  I'm in awe of the stroke rates of some of the kayakers.  I'm simply not capable of moving my arms that fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment