Monday, July 2, 2012

"Only" the high 90s today

This morning I went downtown and paddled for 50 minutes.  I was expecting to feel like I was in a low-watt furnace, but there was a strong breeze blowing from the southwest that made the conditions not just bearable, but rather pleasant.

I think it's supposed to be slightly cooler today than it was over the weekend, when the high reached the low 100s each day.  The air seems a little better today, too.  We had "code-orange" air quality alerts all last week, and by Saturday I felt like it was getting to me a little, with some shortness of breath.  I holed up inside all day yesterday, and it felt good to be back outside getting some exercise today.

Like I said earlier, my competitive season is over, but I still want to get in the boat several times a week.  I think times like this are good for working on technique and trying out any changes you want to make.  When Greg Barton was here a couple of weeks ago, he suggested that I try sinking my blade a little deeper at the beginning of my stroke, and I've been working on that.  So far it's felt a little uncomfortable, but that's not unusual when you make a change to your stroke.

As I was paddling out of the harbor and onto the Mississippi, an unusual-looking towboat was coming upriver pushing a barge with a crane and a bunch of other stuff on it.  I paddled astern of the rig and found that its wake was excellent for surfing, so I did that for a while.  If there's a better way to spend a hot summer day than surfing in a kayak or canoe, I'd love to hear what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment