Friday, July 20, 2012

Summertime, and the livin' is easy

The summer doldrums are here: the big races (for me) are over, and I'm just trying to stay active.  I'm paddling several times a week, and doing other things (notably bike riding) that fall into the "general fitness" category.

On Monday I rode my bike to the river and did a steady hour-long paddle. I'm still working on that slight alteration to my stroke that I mentioned several weeks ago, and it's starting to feel more natural.  Off-season times like this are ideal for changes to technique.

On Tuesday, I rode my bike the length of the Greenline again.  I did so under the pretense of running an errand: our county's collection site for household hazardous waste (paint, burned-out lightbulbs, solvents, and so on) is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and it's located in Shelby Farms at the far end of the Greenline, so I gathered up all the household hazardous waste we've accumulated (fortunately, it all fit into the milk crate on the back of my bike), and took it out there.

Yesterday I did another hour-long paddle.  The Mississippi River is getting seriously low: it's now more than seven feet below zero on the Memphis gauge.  The all-time record low is -10.7 feet in the summer of 1988.

Today my wife Martha came down to the river with me, and we met our friend Meghan down there.  We're entering another bad heat wave, but there was a nice breeze blowing on the river that made it bearable.

This is only my second post of the week.  As the training has trailed off, so has my enthusiasm for writing about it.  I do plan to keep the blog going through the Olympic Games, primarily as a service to my readers who might not be inclined to pay attention to the canoe and kayak competitions on their own.  After that... that might be it for My Training Blog By Elmore.  But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment