Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Photo Feature

Isn't this charming.  Athletes live hand-to-mouth in pursuit of their Olympic dreams, and that's a beautiful thing.  That's what this Bank of America ad, which appeared in the official program for the 2004 slalom and flatwater Olympic trials, says to me.  And who's the poster boy?  I am!  It's the same photo that appeared on the credential I posted here two weeks ago... not that anybody asked my permission or anything.

Let's be clear: I am very impressed with the sacrifices Olympic athletes make to reach the top of their sports.  But I have a hard time not being offended when a corporation like Bank of America, which has the resources to feed, clothe, house, and provide medical care for the entire U.S. national team, would rather romanticize the poverty of the athletes it is supposed to be sponsoring, as if a marginally comfortable standard of living would render their accomplishments less meaningful.

On a happier note, the women's kayaks and men's double canoes are on the water as I write this, competing in the qualifying round of the Olympics whitewater slalom competition at Lee Valley White Water Centre.  If you have a cable or satellite subscription that includes MSNBC and CNBC, you can watch the live stream right now, here.  Later this morning (10:00-10:30 Central Time), there's something scheduled to appear on over-the-air NBC; my guess is it'll be a summary of what happened in the qualifying heats for all four classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment