Saturday, September 14, 2013

I won a gator trophy

I participated in the Gator Bait Race this morning, and finished first with a time of 47 minutes, 35 seconds on a course advertised to be 5.5 miles.  The choice of boat turned out to be an easy one, as conditions were pretty windy and choppy.  That's not so K1 friendly, especially for a paddler with less-than-expert skill level in such a boat.  I paddled the surf ski.

I actually felt better in the second half of the race, after I had emerged from the lily-pad canal and was paddling across an open section of the lake.  Although I have been in the boat only three to four days a week this summer, the sessions have been good quality, and I think that paid off today.

I try to seek out good competition and learn from superior athletes as much as I can.  But it's also satisfying to get a win.  To be sure, chasing guys who are better than I am goes a long way toward making me a winner in races like today's.

There seems to be a trend in recent years for race organizers to offer the most creative awards they can think of.  Today's event had some of the better awards I've seen; they are pictured here.  The alligator head mounted on a section of log (yes, it's a real alligator head) was given to the first-place finisher in each class.

No comments:

Post a Comment