Saturday, September 21, 2013

Still not immune to the swimmies

Yesterday saw heavy rain in the Memphis area--the first we've had in a while.  A front moved in behind it and today we had a high temperature in the 70s (Fahrenheit) with a stiff north breeze.

I went downtown this morning and paddled my K1 for 60 minutes.  There's no question I've gotten better in that boat--I actually felt quite confident nearly the entire hour today--but I'm not safe from the occasional mishap.  Today's mishap occurred when my right blade hit a waterlogged stick that was floating just beneath the surface.  It upset my balance just enough for me to go over.  As I found my footing on the muddy bottom to dump out the boat, I learned that swimming is not nearly as fun in this cooler, breezy weather as it was when it was ninety-plus degrees outside.  I guess the day will come when I'll put the K1 away for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment