Saturday, November 16, 2013

Early winter

Yesterday I did a hundred pushups at home and then paddled downtown for 60 minutes.  Mississippi River level: half a foot below zero on the Memphis gauge.

Chilly weather has arrived early this year, and we've just had a run of several below-freezing overnight lows.  And that's especially bad for me because due to a combination of factors my new home does not yet have any heat.  I've spent the better part of this week hanging around the house in a winter coat and fleece cap.

At least it was beautiful and sunny outside for much of the week, but yesterday morning I woke up and heard rain beating on the roof.  Just getting out of bed seemed like the ultimate challenge.

I have found that the best way to get through not-so-pleasant stretches of weather in both winter and summer is just to immerse myself in it.  I could have stayed hunkered down indoors yesterday, but all that would've done is remind me what a miserable day it was, and then I would have felt like a worthless sloth at the end of the day for not getting out and doing something.

As long as I'm properly dressed, I'm usually plenty warm in the boat on a cold day, and so that was the case yesterday.  After my paddling session I felt ready to take on the rest of the day.








Welcome to my Arctic paradise.  The Celsius equivalent is about 12 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment