Sunday, November 24, 2013

Winter has arrived early. Oh, the joy.

I paddled for 70 minutes yesterday under overcast skies with a temperature of about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and a north wind screaming all the way from the river's source in Minnesota, or so it felt.  I broke out the pogies for the first time this season.  Last night the temperature fell into the mid 20s Fahrenheit, and this morning I did my first sub-freezing paddle of the year.  It took about five minutes for my frozen rudder to work itself free.  I paddled for 60 minutes.

These first cold-weather sessions of the season are an annual ritual, and I enjoy them in sort of a masochistic way ("Bring it on baby!  I can handle anything you got!").  But by February I will be very weary of it all.  Make that January, given this early date for my first frozen rudder.

As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm going for shorter, faster sessions this year, and both yesterday and today I tried to keep my pace as high as I could while still being comfortably in the aerobic zone. Today it was a bit of a chore, probably because I was tired from yesterday--it had been a while since I'd paddled on consecutive days.

I've gotten pretty comfortable doing 150 pushups in a day, and I might push that up to 200 in this last week of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment