Friday, June 13, 2014

I'll be (mostly) ready

Race day is rapidly approaching.  I'm looking forward to the festive aspects of it: a couple of fine friends from the Gulf Coast are entered and they're staying with me, and I'll greet many other racer friends at the site Saturday morning, and live music by the Bluff City Backsliders will provide the post-race backdrop.

But of course, I need to focus on the race itself, too.  Unfortunately, my back is not being very cooperative.  In spite of increased rest and active recovery sessions this week, the soreness has flared up along my spinal cord between the shoulder blades.  Maybe some more extended out-of-the-boat time is what I need, and I'll get some of that after the race, but for now it looks like I'll be racing with some pain, just like I've done at Ocean Springs and Vicksburg this season.

This week I've been going down and paddling easy, but doing some short, hard sprints with long rest in between.  I feel about as comfortable paddling at high intensity as I ever have.  I hope that translates into a good first 150 meters or so Saturday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment