Sunday, June 28, 2015

Circumnavigation! Circumspection!

A front came through the Mid South overnight Friday night and Saturday morning, and we've enjoyed a weekend of lower temperatures and lower humidity.  The Fahrenheit highs have been in the mid 80s under partly cloudy skies.

Yesterday I taught another good introductory kayaking class out at Shelby Farms.  There are three more such classes scheduled for this summer; go here for more information if you'd like to give this paddling thing a try.

This morning I paddled around the Loosahatchie Bar.  Starting and finishing at Harbortown Marina, I made the trip in about two hours, four minutes.  I've done this circumnavigation quite a few times over the years, and every time it has exhausted me thoroughly.  There's a long upriver leg from the mouth of Wolf River Harbor up to the sand-and-gravel operation next to DeWitt Spain Airport, and then there's a long ferry across the river at a spot where it is quite wide.  By the time I'm finally paddling down the chute over on the west side of the Loosahatchie Bar, fatigue is really setting in.  I've spent the rest of today just lounging around the house feeling thoroughly spent.  Hopefully a good night's sleep will have me feeling good as new tomorrow morning.

The Mississippi was at 28.1 feet on the Memphis gauge, and this high level made the trip a little bit quicker: there were bigger eddies along the Tennessee side for the trip upriver, and as I rounded the north end of the Bar I was able to paddle over some sandbars that are exposed at lower water.

No comments:

Post a Comment