Thursday, June 25, 2015

Moving into the next phase


Teresa Faulk took this photo as racers charged out of the Wolf River and onto the mighty Mississippi last Saturday.  That's Mike Herbert in the lead, followed by Waylon Willis in the orange shirt.  I'm in third place, over to Willis's right, with Kata Dismukes in between us in fourth.  Rick Carter holds fifth place on Willis's stern wake.

The day after race there was a boat demo event out at Shelby Farms, and I used that for some recovery paddling while trying out several different boat designs.

This week has seen some oppressive summer weather move into the Mid South.  On Tuesday and today I did some easy paddling in the harbor with Joe, and I've been pondering my goals for the next few months.  There are several races I'm considering, the soonest being on the Fourth of July up at Alton, Illinois.  Rumor has it this race will be in the afternoon, and if the forecast calls for the sort of hot weather we've had here this week, I may pass.

Right now my arms and abdominal muscles are sore from starting up a new strength routine.  For a couple of exercises, I've turned once again to this video featuring Chinese slalom Olympian Jing Jing Li.  The other exercises are classics that need no introduction:

1.  Pushups (variety of styles)
2.  Stability ball drill shown at 2:56 of the Jing Jing Li video
3.  Pullups
4.  Lunges while holding a pair of dumbbells down at my sides
5.  Stability ball drill shown at 3:10 of the Jing Jing Li video

No comments:

Post a Comment