Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Balancing technique practice and fitness training

I'm pleased to say that my upper back and lat-muscle area is feeling better.  Yesterday I paddled a moderate pace in the harbor with Joe for about 70 minutes.  Joe has been away at trade shows for several weeks--a periodic part of his life as the co-owner and president of Outdoors, Inc.--so it was nice to catch up with him and have some company on the water for the first time in a while.

This morning I read this interesting article about the science-based training program of a top college middle distance runner.  For the last couple of years I've been emphasizing technical practice over physiological principles in my own training, but that doesn't mean the physiological stuff isn't important, and I'm already kicking around a couple of new ideas in my head after reading this article. The nice thing is that you can always practice technique no matter what the main focus of a workout is.

No comments:

Post a Comment