Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Some people are already flooded

As a follow-up to yesterday's post, I send positive thoughts upriver to folks in Saint Louis and much of the rest of Missouri, where the flooding reports sound bad.  I think the greater Saint Louis region, where the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers meet, has a lot more residents in low-lying areas than we have here at Memphis.  Right now it sounds like they're re-living the nightmare of the 1993 flood.

Yesterday I heard on the radio that West Alton, Missouri--just a few miles up the river from Saint Louis--was experiencing some pretty bad flooding.  I went to a race there last August, and I believe it.  It was not high ground.

Meanwhile, here at Memphis things are just fine at the moment.  The Memphis gauge reading is 28.5 feet, just 1.2 feet higher than this time yesterday.  Like I said yesterday, it's a rather high level, but nothing out of the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment