Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Froze thru & thru

Just in case I hadn't been yearning adequately for my trip to Hawaii, some more January-like weather has moved in this week.  The last several days have been windy and overcast, and the temperature failed to exceed the freezing point Monday and yesterday.  It would have been very easy for me to skip paddling yesterday if I hadn't agreed to meet Joe down at the river, and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe was having similar thoughts.  But we had made a pact, so out into the cold we went.

Training in the wintertime is actually not so bad once you're in the boat paddling.  Standing on the dock changing clothes and readying your boat and gear is what hurts the worst.  We took care of those ancillary chores as fast as we could, and then hit the water for a 75-minute session that was reasonably comfortable aside from my chilled feet.  All my sit-inside boats are stored here at home; I suppose I could take one down to the dock for winter paddling, but, well... winter doesn't last that long here.

After paddling I came home, lit a fire in my workshop wood stove, and spent the rest of the day trying to warm back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment