Saturday, January 9, 2016

Those lovely gray skies

The Mississippi crested yesterday at 39.59 feet on the Memphis gauge.  That huge mass of water that fell as rain two weeks ago is now moving on downriver and causing high-water events at places like Greeneville, Vicksburg, Natchez, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans.  The river here will be dropping slowly for a few days, then more rapidly after that.  When I got down there this morning the level was about 39.5.  I suppose I could keep on posting pictures here, but surely by now everybody gets the idea.  If you want to know what the marina area looks like as the river drops, just look at the photos I've posted here in reverse order.

My midsection continues to be quite sore, and I've been doing all the stretches and warmup exercises I know of to bring about improvement.  Today I did another relatively easy session, spending 40 minutes in the boat.

It was a rainy day here in the Mid South, with intermittent showers, some of them quite heavy, moving through.  One semi-heavy shower fell on me while I was paddling, but it didn't last long.  I'll repeat something I've noted in the past: some of the most beautiful moments I've spent on the river have occurred on rainy days.  Today the sky was full of billowing clouds in many shades of gray, with an occasional ray of sunshine peeking through, and I felt fortunate to witness it all.  It's easy to get outside on warm sunny days, but it can be surprisingly rewarding to get oneself out on the supposedly not-so-nice days.

No comments:

Post a Comment