Sunday, February 5, 2017

Another winter weekend in the books

We've been sitting in the mid 40s Fahrenheit, with mostly cloudy skies, for a few days now.  I don't like it but it's exactly what one should expect in the first week of February.

Yesterday actually started out bright and sunny, but I was unable to get to the river until late afternoon and by then it was cloudy with a few raindrops falling.  The temperature was 48 degrees.  So it was hard to conjure up much zest as I headed down to paddle.  But once I was in the boat I felt pretty good and by the end of 60 minutes I had a satisfying session under my belt.

I had a slightly warmer day for my "long" paddle today.  The temperature got up into the mid 50s and the sun came out about a half hour before I finished.  I did my clockwise loop of the Loosahatchie Bar that I'd intended to do last weekend but aborted.  My G.P.S. device told me I covered 12.65 miles (compared to 12.66 two weekends ago when I did a counterclockwise loop) and my elapsed time was one hour, 55 minutes, 15 seconds.  Anything under two hours is a pretty good effort for me when I paddle around the bar.  And today I did it while not feeling so great in the boat: my digestion has been a little messed up the last couple of days and that made things unpleasant.

With a river level of 19.7 feet on the Memphis gauge, I encountered only a small patch of shallow water up at the north end of the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment