Thursday, February 2, 2017

Weather weirdness, delivering a boat, pace work

Joe and I did our usual paddle on Tuesday.  It was another springlike day to close out a weird January: the Fahrenheit temperature got up around 70 in the afternoon.

But I would spend most of the day in the car.  I finally made that trip down to Jackson, Mississippi, to deliver the K1 to its new owner, Mr. Andre Pellerin of Breaux Bridge, Louisiana.  His 15-year-old triplet sons Carson, Conrad, and Peyton plan to get more involved in flatwater sprint racing this year after spending the last few years cutting their teeth in many of the same races I compete in.  I'm glad I could provide one of the boats that will carry them through this journey and I hope the new challenges will give them some fresh motivation and enthusiasm.  I feel certain that all kinds of fun is in store for them: chances are they'll find more people their age pursuing the Olympic discipline of flatwater sprint.

As I lay in bed this morning I could hear the wind whistling outside, and by the time I was up and heading down to the river it was an overcast 42 degrees.  When I got down to the dock I realized I'd forgotten to bring the shell I'd planned to wear over the couple of shirts I had on.

I gritted my teeth and got in the boat, and once I was paddling I didn't feel too bad.  The wind was blowing from the northeast and I went up into the north end of the harbor where the trees and high banks offered about as much protection as any place I could go.  After warming up for ten minutes and then doing three 8-stroke sprints, I commenced today's workout: three ten-minute pieces with five minutes recovery in between.  My goal pace for each piece was 7 miles per hour; I had to adjust a little depending whether I was paddling upwind or downwind, but in general the workout went smoothly enough.

I'm still observing my Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule for the current strength routine.  I might do this routine one more week, or I might start a new one next week... I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment