Friday, February 24, 2017

Working through some soreness

On Monday I did my strength routine while tired and sore, especially in my lower back area, from Sunday's long paddle.  Those Smart Bell workouts can be quite intense, but on Monday I did a more laid-back version, interspersing some household cleaning chores among the exercises.

By Tuesday I felt slightly more recovered but still a bit sore.  So Joe and I kept things easy while paddling for 75 minutes in the harbor.  We anticipated getting rained on but were spared all but a light mist in the last ten minutes.

Since then I seem to have recovered most of my pep, but my lower back remains a bit stiff and sore.  I've been trying some of my usual tricks to get it to loosen up.  My lower back gave me a lot of problems in the latter part of the last decade, but in the last few years it's been doing remarkably well, and needless to say I'd like that to continue.

Yesterday I felt good in the boat and upped the intensity a bit during a 60-minute session.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I did three buildup-tempo pieces of 5-6 minutes each.  It's always satisfying to open up the pace and then not feel worn out afterward.

Wednesday and today I did the strength routine and felt pretty good throughout both times.

No comments:

Post a Comment