Thursday, March 16, 2017

Tuning up to race

Tuesday was definitely not the sort of day that beckons paddlers out onto the water.  When I got down to the riverfront it was 37 degrees Fahrenheit and overcast, with tiny snowflakes swirling around in the frigid north wind.  Fortunately my mission was a simple one: warm up do some short sprints, cool down, and go home.  And that's what I did: I paddled for 60 minutes, in the middle of which I did eight 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals.  As usual on a cold day, once I was in the boat paddling I felt fine; standing on the dock before and after was the not-so-pleasant part.

Yesterday I did the strength routine for the last time before this Saturday's race.  I've been doing this routine for about a month now, so next week I'll draw up a new one.

Today was supposed to warm up into the low 50s, but a busy schedule compelled me to go to the river this morning while it was still nippy.  I paddled for 50 minutes, in the middle of which I did six 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good and I'm excited to get together with some fellow paddlers at last.  The plan is to leave mid-morning tomorrow and get to Ocean Springs in the mid afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment