Sunday, July 30, 2017

First weekend of vacation, Part A: leaving town and race prep

It's always hard to get out of town.  I spent the 48 hours from the middle of Wednesday to the middle of Friday furiously trying to tie up all the many loose ends.  Along the way I got down to the river both Thursday morning and Friday morning, doing a few 12-stroke sprints and trying to perfect my "race face."

The oppressive summer heat makes everything seem more difficult, including travel preparation.  It took me no time to become drenched with sweat as I carried my bags and paddling gear out to the car after lunch on Friday.  Finally, with everything packed, I toweled off and hit the road.  My first stop was Nashville, where I stayed with an old college friend.  We went out for supper at a bar and grill nearby, and about the only thing on the menu that appealed to me was the burger, so I ordered that... not exactly a textbook pre-race meal.  Once I'd wolfed down that half-pound of ground beef I wondered if my body would be able to process it before my 9:30 start the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment