Monday, July 3, 2017

Sore but active anyway

On Saturday I paddled for 60 minutes downtown.  I was still feeling a bit sore and worn out from the Thursday evening session.  I just tried to relax and enjoy the morning on the river.

Yesterday was a burly work day.  I spent the day cutting up a section of a large tree that fell in my mother's neighborhood.  The wood was desirable for my woodworking business, so I put quite a bit of effort into busting up a 55-inch-long, 40-inch-diameter piece of the trunk into small enough pieces for me to lift into the back of my truck.  The task left me exhausted and sore.

I was still very sore this morning, but not too much so for a paddle around the Loosahatchie Bar with several other local paddlers.  I went downtown and met Adam Davis, Jason Salomon, and Mike Womack for this journey of 12 miles or so.

This image shows a typical lap around the Bar.  It actually depicts a trip that Joe Royer and his wife Carol Lee took a month or two ago, but the route is similar to what Adam, Jason, Mike, and I did today:


At today's river level--15.3 feet on the Memphis gauge--I was afraid we would have to paddle a lot of extra distance to get around the exposed sand at the upper end of the Bar, but we found a route through it with minimal scraping of the bottom.

We pushed the pace at times but also took time to relax and enjoy the environs.  All told, I think it was a pretty good remedy for my sore body.

No comments:

Post a Comment