Sunday, July 9, 2017

Summary of a busy week

After another week filled with out-of-the-boat distractions it feels as though I've accomplished nothing as a paddler.  But that's not really true.  I paddled my usual number of times (four) last week and I got a couple of pretty good workouts in.  I also did two rounds of the current strength routine.  What's been missing is the spare time to process these activities in my mind and share my thoughts with you here.

I paddled with Joe on Wednesday and planned to attend "Thursday evening sprints" the next day, but something came up to prevent me from doing that.  So I went down to the river on Friday intending to paddle hard.  At this time of year, when I've got a pretty good base under me from the winter and spring, I do a lot more short fast pieces; but on Friday I decided to take the opportunity for some pace work.  I did three one-mile pieces with five minutes recovery in between.  My target pace was 7.0 miles per hour; I ended up averaging a little over that--7.1 or 7.2.  My time for each mile was about 8 minutes, 26 seconds.

Yesterday I went back out and paddled for 70 minutes.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I paddled out onto the Mississippi and surfed the waves behind an upstream-bound barge rig. Surfing demands some hard paddling, but it seems a lot more fun than when I'm doing a timed piece, probably because there's no pressure to achieve a certain time or pace.

Today I joined five other local paddlers for another trip around the Loosahatchie Bar.  The upstream leg of our journey had the feel of a group training session, with exchanging of wake rides and stuff like that.  Once we had "summited" the north end of the Bar it was more of a relaxing Sunday float.  As we crossed the Mississippi back toward the mouth of the harbor there was another barge rig coming upstream, and I managed to get several brief surfs on its waves.  So today's trip had a little of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment