Sunday, July 16, 2017

Weekend mileage

Yesterday I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints and then just paddled steady.  Even though it was very humid there was a nice little breeze and some clouds in the sky that kept things comfortable.

The same was true this morning as I met four other paddlers for a group session.  Fred Hatler, Kata Dismukes, Jason Salomon, Ralph Dismukes, and I paddled out of the harbor and up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wolf River, and then up the Wolf to the Danny Thomas Boulevard bridge before turning around and paddling back to the harbor.  We paddled a pretty good tempo up the Mississippi, and another one up the Wolf.  The rest of the paddling was pretty moderate.

It's been nice having some company out on the river the last several weekends.  So much of the time I feel sort of antisocial as a paddler, I guess because my particular training plan might not suit everybody.  But in the last month or so I've fallen into a pattern of doing sprints at Shelby Farms on Thursday evening and a group paddle on the riverfront during the weekend, and that's been fun.

We paddled in a nice tight pack as we came back down the Wolf from Danny Thomas.  We passed several men fishing near the Second Street bridge, and I imagine our bright colorful surf skis were quite in contrast to the camouflage-painted johnboats they're probably used to seeing on the Wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment