Sunday, August 27, 2017

Heeding my body's message

Yesterday I was still feeling fatigued from the Thursday evening sprints and I went down to the river intending to do an easy 60-minute paddle.  But as I was leaving the harbor there was a barge rig coming upriver creating some good-looking waves, and no paddler in his right mind can pass up the opportunity to surf.  So I ferried out there and threw down the necessary sprints to get some good rides.

Other than that I kept the intensity pretty low and figured that by today I'd be rested up enough to do a good workout.  And as I headed down to the river this morning I was feeling ready to go.  But my body wasn't keen on doing what I'd planned.

After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I planned to do six half-mile pieces at an average speed of around 7.5 miles per hour, with four to five minutes recovery in between.  But I was hurting big-time by the fourth one and I ended up quitting after the fifth.  I'm usually quite consistent during workouts like this, but today my times were sort of all over the place: 4:08, 3:49, 4:01, 3:55, and 4:03.

I don't think this is something I need to get all worried about; I think my body was simply telling me it needed more rest than I'd given it lately, and so I listened.  Part of being an athlete is knowing when it's best to deviate from the planned training regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment