Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Recovering; going for all 50

I've been wicked sore in my midsection since I finished the race on Sunday.  That course took us against a fair amount of current and through a lot of shallow water, and I think that extra resistance took its toll on my body.  I was ready for a recovery paddle today.  I did a thorough round of stretching on the dock and then paddled easy for 40 minutes.  My core muscles protested, but I'm hopeful that getting some blood flowing in them will speed up the recovery.

Remember my "fifty states project"?  By participating in the USCA Nationals at Dubuque I added Iowa to the list of states I've paddled a boat in.  I also "solidified" the status of Illinois on the list: I had paddled on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River across from Saint Louis, and on Lake Michigan at Chicago, but when I paddled on Carlyle Reservoir last week it was my first time paddling in the interior of Illinois.  It's fussy, I know, but I can be pretty fussy sometimes.

Here's the updated list.  States marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones I have merely visited.  States marked with a pound sign (#) are the ones I have visited and paddled a boat in.  As you can see, Alaska is the only state I haven't yet visited.

Alabama#
Alaska
Arizona*
Arkansas#
California#
Colorado#
Connecticut#
Delaware*
Florida#
Georgia#
Hawaii#
Idaho#
Illinois#
Indiana#
Iowa#
Kansas*
Kentucky#
Louisiana#
Maine*
Maryland#
Massachusetts#
Michigan#
Minnesota*
Mississippi#
Missouri#
Montana#
Nebraska*
Nevada*
New Hampshire#
New Jersey*
New Mexico#
New York#
North Carolina#
North Dakota*
Ohio#
Oklahoma*
Oregon#
Pennsylvania#
Rhode Island#
South Carolina#
South Dakota*
Tennessee#
Texas#
Utah#
Vermont#
Virginia#
Washington#
West Virginia#
Wisconsin#
Wyoming#

No comments:

Post a Comment